Nationalizing a car

Home Forums How to apply for residency in Nicaragua Nationalizing a car

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We brought our 2006 Toyota with us and applied for pensionado residency right away. Well we have our resolution and are waiting for our cedula but, now our car is more than 7 years old. Byebye, exemption. Has anyone ever heard of an exception to the age rule? And how do they compute the value of the car and the impuestos. We were told our impuestos would be $12,000 for a car valued $8,000 in the states. Second part of this question is if we buy a car here we are not importing it. If the car is a little over $25000 what percentage of that amount would the impuesto be? Help from anyone is greatly appreciated. We might just have to return to the states and buy another car. HELP!

Anonymous

HEY KEEP CHECKING BACK, I AM ABOUT TO BUY A TRUCK THIS WEEK, I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHATEVER I FIND OUT. AS FAR AS I KNOW, THE PRICE OF THE TRUCK INCLUDES ALL TAXES. THE TRUCK I AM LOOKING AT IS ABOUT 16K BRAND NEW, THIS IS CHEAP BY CANADIAN STANDARDS. THE SECOND PART OF YOUR QUESTION, WHY WOULD YOU BE PAYING IMPORT DUTIES IF YOU BUY HERE LET THE CAR DEALER NATIONALIZE IT, THEN NO IMPORT DUTIES ETC.
    WE LIVE AND LEARN AS WE GO ALONG.
    CHEERS.

Anonymous

Bonnie – Sell the car and buy another in Nicaragua once you receive your residency. It is easier to buy parts, have repairs made and, general maintenance is easier and less expensive. I’ve had three vehicles from the U.S. and had a difficult time buying replacement parts.

Anonymous

Hi Bonnie, a friend of mine is going through the process of nationalising her vehicle from the states. they have had it in customs/paperwork pergatory for over 2 months, paperwork, easter, whatever the issue is, taxis to Managua and hire car have dissolved any small advantage of a car from the US…….id advise buy a vehicle there, unless someone knows the magic word(s)…….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.