Is Nicaragua gay-friendly?

Home Forums Ask an expat Is Nicaragua gay-friendly?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Self
    David Self
    Participant

I am a retired U.S. gay male thinking of moving to Managua or Leon in the Fall of 2014. I am a writer and a bit of a loner. I would choose to live in a community with locals/students/working people.

I was disturbed by articles in The Nicaragua Dispatch about the apparent anti-gay attitudes of the government, if not the people directed at the gay hotel owners. I have no interest in the sex trade (unless I could do something help halt it). I do want to make friends of all ages with locals and expats. My concern is for my personal safety; is Nicaragua safe for a gay older man living alone and NOT “sheltered” in an expat community?

Cecilia Espinoza
    Cecilia Espinoza
    Participant

Hi David, without being gay myself, I can tell you Nicaragua is a safe place for gay people. I have a very close group of friends, gays and lesbians who live in Managua and are open with their sexuality, and they have never have any serious problem. But as any other country in the region you should be careful, and take some security measures. The same I take, and the same I will suggest to anyone who visit or live in Nicaragua. Here are my recommendations: Don’t let people you don’t know well to visit your house when you’re alone; don’t loan money to anyone; don’t take taxis you don’t know at night, try to know at least 3 o 4 different taxi driver and call them any time you need a ride; avoid carrying valuable items, like your passport or large amounts of money; if you are confronted by a robber, the best advice is to cooperate; stay in well-lighted, busy areas; don’t drink too much, etc. etc. Nicaraguans are very friendly, so it’s easy to make friends. In Managua, there a lot a couple of gay friendly bars, so that is a good way to meet people. I hope this is helpful. Best. C.

Anonymous

Hi David,
    I have been living here in Leon, Las Penitas area for a year, openly gay living with my husband, we are Canadian. I can tell you that Nicaragua is very gay friendly. We have been welcomed into the community warmly. When we walk down the street it would seem weird if we didn’t get at least 3 or 4 waves of ola, or as they say here, adio. Having said that, this is not Managua and I would agree with most of what Cecila mentioned about common sense safety.
    If you do come let us know and we can show you around Las Penitas and Leon.
    Devry.

David Self
    David Self
    Participant

Cecilia and Devry,

Thanks a lot to both of you for your post. Leon is looking better and better. I get the feeling that whatever issue was going on in Granada was not one that will bother me. Common sense is key and I like the idea of knowing my own taxi drivers for those times I do go out late. I will forward to having you guys show me around. I’ll stay in touch as the time gets closer. Thanks again,
    David

Anonymous

Lived here in Matagalpa for quite a while and am married to a Matagalpina, so I am fairly embedded in the culture. I can tell you it is widely accepted socially. However as with ideals or political opinions I would not flaunt or force on folks. Just live your life. Low profile is key in this country where gossip reigns.

Anonymous

Hi David.
    I must start my answer with a question. Is any place really gay-friendly?? As a native New Yorker I must say that even my City has it’s share of homophobia. That said, is Nicaragua gay-friendly? Well it is not gay hostile. I spend about a month a year in Granada. I have never experienced hostility or homophobia. The people treat you as member of the community– you are an expat but welcomed.
    rob

Anonymous

Hi David,

I hope you made it to Leon! I have rented rooms in Leon for a while now on gaynicaleon and have found the locals very accepting. If you have found yourself in Leon, we would love to get to know you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.