Extending a tourist visa by more than 30 days

Home Forums Ask an expat Extending a tourist visa by more than 30 days

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Posting at Tim Rogers’ suggestion. My teen daughter’s now in Granada (from the US) with a host family, aiming for a 9-mo. stay, with one visit home. Her 90-day visa runs out in Oct. I’m planning to visit her then and do one of the following: a.) travel with her to Costa Rica for few days and get her a fresh 90 on return (not ideal b/c I’m not there long and would like to see Nica); b.) go up to Managua and get her a 30-day extension, so she can see how to do it in subsequent mos. c.) go to immigration “out near the police station” in Granada (as I’ve heard) and have them send her passport away for 3-5 days for a fresh 30, or c.) my preferred option, get her a *60* day extension somehow that’ll hold her until she comes home for a weeks in December. Any advice on whether c is doable, and how … or if there’s an option I don’t know enough to ask about? Muchas gracias!

Anonymous

Think a little bigger, Dad. Take an international bus, Nicabus, down to Canas in Costa Rica. Cross the border in Penas Blancas on the way. Spend the night in Canas, take a bus to Cano Negro the next day and spend at least one night in Cano Negro. It is one of the premier wildlife viewing areas in the western hemisphere. Hotel del Campo is right on the laguna and the bus will drop you off at their door. You can take a boat tour early the next morning and see the laguna. Take the bus to Los Chiles, check to see if you can charter a boat from Cano Negro to Los Chiles – great river trip, and take a boat back up to San Carlos, Nicaragua. This puts you at the bottom of the lake. The river trip is always great and the view of San Carlos as you come out of the jungle is magic. Step out and take a boat to El Castillo the next day and experience the river. You can go all the way to Greytown and fly back. You can also visit the islands. You can take the ferry back to Granada or go around the lake by bus. http://www.thebusschedule.com has bus information. You can also fly back from San Carlos. A web site called the rightside guide has boat information and schedules.

This will renew her visa for 90 days and give you both a trip to remember so you can tell you grandchildren. Put some adventure into the trip. Think big!

Kelvin Marshall
    Kelvin Marshall
    Participant

She can get a one to three months (max) extension at Migracion without leaving the country (e.g. Metro Centro). Its 500 cords per 30 days. As long as its her first 90 days she will be OK. The law specifically allows for this type of in country extension. After the 180 days or before, she has to leave and come back again, but the trip home will take care of that and then she will be back on the 90 day, plus another 90 day extension.

Calley Prezzano
    Calley Prezzano
    Participant

In Granada (and Rivas, too), there is a small immigration office. In Granada it’s located by the old train station & Parque Sandino. Excellent choice for those without a car or a day to spend in MGA.

It’s really easy: bring your passport, 2 photocopies of the photo page and the most recent stamp of your passport, and cash (same fees apply as above). You can renew for up to 90 more days. A little paperwork, and this small office will take your passport and mail it up and back to MGA. 7 days later, passport is back and ready!

In Rivas, the building is one block towards the lake and one block south from Restaurant Parilla.

I’ve done it many times and have had no problems!

Anonymous

If you do choose the “go to costa rica” and get stamped in/out route, you dont have to spend days in Costa Rica. Technically, the law says you have to leave for 72 hours, but every time i have done it i have just always been very nice and friendly and asked if i could just turn around and go back, and every time i can just turn around and go back to Nicaragua the same day. Except one time they made me stay overnight, so i took a buz to La Cruz, staying in a hostel with an amazing view of the Bahia, and came back in the morning. Overall, a very short trip.
    I still go with clothes, etc in a backpack just in case they make me stay a full 3 days, but so far, for years they havent enforced that at all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.