Employment Opportunities

Home Forums Ask an expat Employment Opportunities

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

We are planning a trip in May or June of 2015 to scope out locations to potentially move to within a couple of years. Are there employment opportunities for Canadians? Is any industry better than another? As many have done already by what I’ve read so far, we too were considering opening a B&B and perhaps little restaurant. Looking for thoughts? Ideas? Our location considerations are SJDS, Granada and Leon. There is still a lot to research for us to do of course so we thought this would be a good place to ask questions. Thank you. Rhona

Anonymous

This is a question often asked, but rarely answered, because its very difficult to answer. There are too many variables. The chances of you just showing up as a foreigner, and finding a decent and well paying job are very low. But there are still plenty of opportunities. There are tons of people who move here and open a hostel, or a restaurant, or coffee shop, etc. Many of them fail, some succeed. Its just like everywhere else in the world. Bad service, bad management, location, financial issues all play just as much of a part as the fact its in Nicaragua. Places like SJDS, Granada, etc. are by far the most touristy, so at first glance they seem like the best places to open up a tourist oriented business. But keep in mind, that these are also the locations that you will have to compete with the other dozens of people coming down every year opening the same type of businesses in the same locations.
    Also be aware that the rules here are not at all the same as in the United States. The issues you run into whether they benefit you, or go against you are not the same issues you might run into in Canada or Europe, etc.

I dont think there is any across the board “good” advice, other than, before making any major decisions, come down first and check it out in person. Stay a little while in the areas you are thinking about being in, and do a LOT of talking to locals, or other expats in the area who may have similar businesses or who have done similar things.

Anonymous

I too am a Canadian and am planning a trip to Nicaragua in the spring/early summer of 2015. I want to stay for 3 months, but I am also interested in the possibility of living in the country for an extended period of time (like around a year or so). I know this must sound crazy, but I’m looking for a drastic change and because I have relatives to help me with my visit, I really want to try to set this up long term. Of course, a lot would have to depend on how I could make a decent living in Nicaragua. I’m a Communications professor at a college and I also teach ESL at a private language school so I have experience working with federal workers and foreign diplomats. I also have a Masters in English as well. Could someone with my skills and experience be able to find a good teaching job in Managua, say at a university or private academy? I want to be realistic about all this, but I have heard from family friends who live in Nicaragua that with my background I could find a very good job. Connections would obviously help, but it gives me hope that maybe this isn’t such a crazy idea! I don’t know. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Anonymous

I’m nicaraguan, not an expat, but I’d like to give my view

I think the easiest way for a non-hispanic foreigner to get job in this country is as a teacher of their native language. If english is your native language then there might be some opportunities, you can find many english language schools in Nicaragua, the American Nicaraguan School (ANS) has one of the most important and relevant english institute in managua, I studied there and I remember having at least 3 foreign teachers. Although I must say that getting a job as a teacher is by no means guaranteed, since you have a lot of competition from local people and even other foreigners.

If you manage to get a job you must be willing to accept a low paycheck in a small company or startup, chances are you wont begin in a big company (like ANS), most nicaraguan jobs pay under $300 a month, and don’t expect to earn much more as a teacher. You can try a call center like Sitel and Stream (both in managua), though I think they prefer bilingual nicaraguans but if you get a seat then expect to earn around $500 in a job that will requiere you to work 45 hours/week and during night, weekends and hollidays. If you have no problem with a stressfull job then go for it, but IMO $500 might be good for some nicaraguans (not my case) but is not worth it for a foreigner coming from a first world country. You must have in mind that most nicaraguans settle for a low income life, and if you want to become a nicaraguan then be ready to downgrade your lifestyle drastically.

You might have heard from your friends how “cheap” is Nicaragua compare to other countries (specially USA), but they always fail to mention the quality of those “cheap” items, don’t get carried away by some prices, yes the rent IS low in some places, but that’s because what you find cheap are semi shanty houses, don’t expect a fine 80m2 furnished condominium with air conditioning and water heater for $200 a month… that said, you can find a good house for nicaraguan standard at $500, which is a great deal, but you will never be able to afford it with a common job. I’m not trying to discourage you, but the prospect of having a normal job as a foreigner in nicaragua is a bit delusional, you’re better off starting your own business, if you earn above $1200 a month in Nicaragua you will do fine, you’ll have a car and a house, but the best way to achieve it is by having your own business…

Regards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.