Reply To: Employment Opportunities

Home Forums Ask an expat Employment Opportunities Reply To: Employment Opportunities

Anonymous

I’m nicaraguan, not an expat, but I’d like to give my view

I think the easiest way for a non-hispanic foreigner to get job in this country is as a teacher of their native language. If english is your native language then there might be some opportunities, you can find many english language schools in Nicaragua, the American Nicaraguan School (ANS) has one of the most important and relevant english institute in managua, I studied there and I remember having at least 3 foreign teachers. Although I must say that getting a job as a teacher is by no means guaranteed, since you have a lot of competition from local people and even other foreigners.

If you manage to get a job you must be willing to accept a low paycheck in a small company or startup, chances are you wont begin in a big company (like ANS), most nicaraguan jobs pay under $300 a month, and don’t expect to earn much more as a teacher. You can try a call center like Sitel and Stream (both in managua), though I think they prefer bilingual nicaraguans but if you get a seat then expect to earn around $500 in a job that will requiere you to work 45 hours/week and during night, weekends and hollidays. If you have no problem with a stressfull job then go for it, but IMO $500 might be good for some nicaraguans (not my case) but is not worth it for a foreigner coming from a first world country. You must have in mind that most nicaraguans settle for a low income life, and if you want to become a nicaraguan then be ready to downgrade your lifestyle drastically.

You might have heard from your friends how “cheap” is Nicaragua compare to other countries (specially USA), but they always fail to mention the quality of those “cheap” items, don’t get carried away by some prices, yes the rent IS low in some places, but that’s because what you find cheap are semi shanty houses, don’t expect a fine 80m2 furnished condominium with air conditioning and water heater for $200 a month… that said, you can find a good house for nicaraguan standard at $500, which is a great deal, but you will never be able to afford it with a common job. I’m not trying to discourage you, but the prospect of having a normal job as a foreigner in nicaragua is a bit delusional, you’re better off starting your own business, if you earn above $1200 a month in Nicaragua you will do fine, you’ll have a car and a house, but the best way to achieve it is by having your own business…

Regards