Bringing the Macua back to the USA

macuaMy daughter, Maya, was adopted last year from Nicaragua. She is so special to our family. While in the adoption process Isaac and I lived in the county for five months. It was a unique time to experience Nica culture and where our daughter was born. We brought home not only the most precious gift but also some life long memories and new food ideas! Every year on the day we met Maya I plan on making an authentic Nica meal for the whole family. Bright latin flavors and fresh ingredients are what makes Nica cuisine good & why we fell in love with it.

My favorite cocktail is the Nica Macua, the national drink of this beautiful yet HUMID Central American country. I spent many nights sipping this cocktail while sweating through my tank top, sitting in a Nica rocking chair, and smelling my hubbies Nica rolled cigar, talking about when our next family member would come visit us. It was a slow paced time of life and one I miss often.

Nicaragua is known for world class Rum, cigars, and coffee. Flor de Caña Rum is the most famous Rum brand. It is plentiful and cheap down there but hard to find in the states. I find it at Binnie’s Beverage Depot. The four year aged works well for this cocktail. Save the 12 year aged for sipping on ice with a squeeze of lime. Yes, we picked up a few vices in Nicaragua! Who would have thought our adoption would make us Rum drinkers, coffee addicts, and cigar smokers!

macua 2I adapted my Macua recipe to make it easier for me to find the ingredients. I replaced fresh Guava juice with Pineapple juice. It tastes great and is much easier to find!

I’ve made this for many summer parties and it’s always a hit. Make sure you don’t mix this cocktail with soaking in the hot tub for an hour. Whoops! I’ll never do that again! Tipsy took on a whole new meaning that night. Isaac and I love our little “Mayita” more than we could ever have imagined. We hope she grows up loving her home country as much as we do. Try this cocktail out and fall in love with it just as I have.

How to make a Macua 

Ingredients:

1.5 parts Flor de Caña Rum
1 part Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
1 part Pineapple Juice
1/2 part Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
1/3 part Simple Syrup (Simple Syrup is equal parts sugar & water. Heat water and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Let cool)

• Directions:

Combine all five ingredients in a large pitcher. Stir and refrigerate. Serve cocktail cold over ice with a lime. For six to eight cocktails, use 3 cups Rum, 1 cup OJ, 1 cup Pineapple, 1 cup Lime, 2/3 cup Simple Syrup.

To see more of my writing please visit my website www.katieskitchencounter.com

blog comments powered by Disqus