Child tax credit: a big reason to file

Many expat families with children under 17 years of age should file a tax return and take advantage of the child tax credit. As long as earned income is at least $3,000, there is a good chance you will qualify. In the following table, we provide a simplified example for a family of four (with 2 small kids):

Hola Expat (child tax credit)

As shown above, the child tax credit ($2,000) is substantially higher than the taxes owed ($290). Families with much higher income can also take advantage of the Child Tax Credit. The trick is to efficiently utilize the foreign earned income exclusion between the two parents.


Disclaimer: The answers provided in this article are for general information, and should not be construed as personal tax advice. Tax laws and regulations change frequently, and their application can vary widely based on the specific facts and circumstances involved. For more information, visit:

About John Ohe
John Ohe

John Ohe (IRS Enrolled Agent and Chartered Financial Analyst) is Co-founder at Hola Expat. Our firm prepares taxes for Americans living abroad. If you would like to ask a tax-related question, please email us:

blog comments powered by Disqus